Meal Plan FAQs
- How do I select my meal plan ?
- How do I access my meal plan?
- Where can I use my meal plan?
- When can I use my meal plan?
- Can I use a carry out option in the dining centers?
- Can I use my meal plan to pay for a guest meal?
- Can I change my meal plan?
- As a student living off campus or in Cardinal Court, can I charge my meal plan to my student account?
- How do I tell how much is left on my meal plan?
- What if I run out of flex dollars before the end of the semester?
- What happens to my meals at the end of the semester?
- What happens to flex dollars at the end of the semester?
Flex dollars remaining at the end of the fall semester will roll over into the spring semester providing a meal plan is retained for the spring semester*. All flex dollars expire at the end of the spring semester and are non-refundable.
If you choose to cancel your meal plan for the spring semester, your flex dollars will expire at the end of the fall semester.
*Students living in traditional residence halls are required to have a meal plan.
- What constitutes a meal?
Any access into the dining center is considered a meal whether you eat a bagel, a slice of pizza, a salad, a dessert or a beverage. In general, students on a block plan or traditional plan will not want to come into the dining center for a small snack or beverage since they have a limited number of meals they can eat in a semester or week. These students might prefer to purchase beverages and snacks from the retail restaurants on campus or vending machines in the residence halls using their flex dollars. Students on unlimited meal plans are allowed to enter the dining centers as often as they like, so they may choose to come in more frequently for a drink or snack between meals.
Please keep in mind that Unlimited Access Plans allow a maximum of three carry out meals per day.
- Can I cancel my meal plan if my Housing contract has been cancelled?
Students that were living in the residence halls can cancel their meal plan once they have moved out of their room.
Students that were living in Cardinal Court or Fell/School street can cancel their meal plan if they have not used any portion of their meal plan (meals or flex dollars).
- Can faculty/staff, university visitors, and guests dine at both dining centers during the spring semester?
Yes, currently faculty/staff, university visitors, and guests are allowed to access both dining centers.
- What if I don't think there are enough dining options that fit my diet?
We strongly encourage you to contact our dietitian team to ensure your specific questions are answered, your concerns are addressed, and you are well informed of all the menu options available to fit your needs and preferences. Our registered dietitians offer individual consultations for students with food allergies, restricted diets, and other nutritional needs, including weekly meal planning guidance and menu adaptation. They can be reached at (309) 438-8351 or EMDH@IllinoisState.edu.
EMDH Student Employment
- Is EMDH still hiring student employees?
Yes, EMDH is still hiring student positions for the spring 2023 semester. Each EMDH student employee plays a critical role in creating safe, memorable experiences for students, guests, and the entire Redbird community. To learn more about the hiring process, please visit the EMDH employment website.
- What resources are available for students facing challenges related to food insecurity and hardship?
Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality (EMDH) is committed to providing care for the Redbird community. If an Illinois State University student is dealing with challenges related to food insecurity and hardship, they should contact EMDH@IllinoisState.edu for more information and guidance on the available resources.